Ok - the problem here is not fixed by my patch (just avoided). The
problem looks to be in file_mime_type() function

The function relies on finfo(), which has problems with the
/usr/share/misc/magic.mgc file. The file is not working correctly for
the version of PHP that some are using - see:
https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=61940#1336148541

Or it relies on mime_content_type() which is deprecated.

So the question is now that it really only relies on finfo() how are we
going to deal with the magic.mgc file being incorrect for some?

Can we include the needed magic.mgc files that work like mentioned in
the above link? Will that be allowed? will it cause headaches? is there
an alternate way to check mimetypes?

** Bug watch added: bugs.php.net/ #61940
   http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=61940

  mp4 file has wrong icon

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  On master (1.8.0dev) in Firefox:

  When an mp4 file is uploaded, it does not have the media icon of a
  camera, but just the generic document icon. I think the match-up of
  mime type and icon doesn't work properly.