I can not replicate the error you mentioned.

As Aaron recommeded, do you see any error messages in PHP and Apache log
files?

  Custom layouts aren't displayed properly and can't be created with
  more than 4 rows

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  I just tested the Mahara 1.8rc1, on a linux server with a MySQL DB. To
  view the site I am using a Mac OS Laptop with Chrome Version
  30.0.1599.69.

  When using the "create custom layout" feature I have multiple
  problems:

  - The preview only is displayed correctly for 1 - 3 rows, after adding the
fourth row the preview doesn't update anymore
  - When adding a custom layout with up to 3 rows, the layout gets added to the
other layout options. Adding a 4 row layout does work, but there is just a
default thumb, not a picture of the layout.
  - Even though I can add up to 6 rows the adding of custom layouts with 5 or 6
rows doesn't work at all.

  I attached a screenshot of the problems.

  Regards,
  Angela