It's worth noting, Mahara already has a mail-receiving functionality in
place! See
https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/Specifications_in_Development/VERP_Mail_Bounces

Currently it's only used for the (optional & completely undocumented)
bounced message handler. But it lays groundwork that could be used for
forum posting by email.

  Feature request: Respond to forums and user messages by email

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  It'd be nice to be able to respond to forum posts and user messages by
  email.

  Use case:

  1. I subscribe to a forum, with "email" notifications
  2. Someone posts to the forum. I receive an email with that post
  3. In my mail client, I hit "reply" and write a response to their quote,
which I send to the default reply address on the message
  4. Mahara receives my response email, and puts it as a post in the forum
(perhaps with a note at the bottom saying it was posted by email)

  A similar use case would work for other Activity types as well:
   - user messages
   - wall posts
   - feedback

  One thing to bear in mind is the security aspect of this. We'd need to
  incorporate some way to check that the user is who they say they are.
  Launchpad, for instance, has this functionality (
  https://help.launchpad.net/Bugs/EmailInterface ), but they require you
  to send it from a "trusted sender domain" that uses DKIM. They also
  require you to PGP-sign your emails if you want to do anything more
  than post comments.

  Another thing to think about is how to fit this into Mahara's Plugin
  system, so that we don't just have a hardcoded list of plugins coded
  into the incoming mail handler.