Hi Gordon,

This isn't on our immediate roadmap for Mahara HQ to implement, but it's
an idea that has been floated before, and it's worth discussing.

Any suggestions on what the UI for this should be like? Some things to
consider:

1. A page doesn't become a template until the user visits the "Sharing"
tab and makes it possible to copy it.

2. This functionality should probably only be exposed to Staff and
Admins, because it allows you to restrict what other users can do with
their content. And so far all such restrictions have been limited to
Staff and Admin users.

3. Should this be extra controls on the block? Or maybe an extra
"template" tab that gets exposed once you turn a page into a template
(and you are staff/admin)? The more I think about it, the more I lean
towards the idea of making this into a separate tab, which would show
you little lock/unlock icons next to each block. Although... I suppose
it wouldn't be too intrusive to have those lock/unlock icons on the main
view editing page itself.

4. It would probably make sense to also add the ability to fully lock a
particular block, so that it can be neither edited nor deleted. For
instance, you might make a "Biology report" template, and put a non-
editable text block on the top that says "BIOLOGY REPORT", and then a
non-deletable but editable text block below that, for the user to put
their book report contents in, and another for them to put an image in.

5. I could see a use-case for getting more granular still, and, say,
locking the title of a block from editing but making the contents of the
block editable. That could be difficult to implement generically across
blocktypes, though, and would probably require some sort of API for the
blocktype itself to say what can or cannot be locked.

Cheers,
Aaron

  Prevent user deleting specific template blocks

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  New

Bug description:
  New Feature Enhancement.
  Hello,
  A suggestion at the 2014 Scottish Mahara User Group conference was to have a
capability to lock specific artefact blocks (eg textboxes) within template
pages so that they can be edited but not deleted by users in their personal
portfolio copy of the page. The purpose of this is to ensure that after copying
the template users retain any mandatory elements for a portfolio that their
institution needs as evidence to award qualifications, but users can customise
other elements to suit individual needs.
  Regards, Gordon.