Thinking about it, I wonder if it would actually be needed. If an
institution has one Mahara site, then the site admin makes the decision.
If a Mahara site is uses by multiple institutions then they will have
different registration requirements and the site admin shouldn't decide
for them how to allow new users in, esp. now that we can confirm
registrations.

Also, if we turn of "registration allowed", users wouldn't be able to
request access to another institution if they are already members of
one.

  Global setting for allowing registration via the registration form

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Opinion

Bug description:
  Currently, you can turn registration via the registration form on/off
  via the institution form.

  This is fine, but it doesn't give an easy way for the admin to simply
  turn off registration for every institution.

  This setting could be checked in order to render the 'register' link
  on the login form, and also to decide if we even give the institution
  forms the option.

  Some kind of interplay with the usersuniquebyusername setting would be
  desirable too (talk to Nigel about this).

  (Side note - in reality, whether you can register for a given
  institution doesn't quite make sense - it's more like whether the
  given 'internal' authinstance allows this, and as such it should
  really be a configuration setting of the internal auth plugin. Would
  be nice to work this in somehow...)