As for 2: Users can choose their themes if the site admin allows page
themes. In addition, Mahara now has skins (since Mahara 1.8) which give
users again more freedom to change the look and feel of their pages if
skins are allowed.

3. We created theming guides for 1.8
https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Customising/Themes/Theming_Guides to
help visual designers.

4. Not flash, but themes that are available to the community freely and
that are announced publicly are added to
https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Themes/Contributed_themes

  Theme Management

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  I have a few theme related requests:

  1) It would be great to have true theme management, like Drupal, where
  we can visually preview themes and set parameters/options within a
  theme that has been loaded.

  2) It would be great to be able to assign different themes to
  different institutions and have an option to allow users to change
  their themes.

  3) It would be really, really nice documentation or tutorials on
  theming for Mahara.  Maybe I just missed it, but I can't find even
  basic info on the structure of pages, etc.

  4) It would be great to have a theme library, so we could create and
  share themes.