I think we could achieve this without implementing a fully granular
Moodle-style permissions system (and all the performance hits that come
with that).

The implementation would look like this:

1. We change the setting "allow public pages" from a tickbox to a menu
labeled "who can create public pages", options "anyone", "admins +
staff", "admins", "no one". (Maybe some variant in there for
institutional admins & staff as well)

2. We do a similar thing to the existing institution-level "allow public
views" setting. The current version of that setting allows public views
if the user belongs to *any* institution that allows public views, so we
would use similar "any" logic for the new version of the setting.

3. We add a tickbox for "can create public pages" to the user settings
page, accessible only to admins (much like the user settings option for
setting a user's auth instance). This setting would allow the user to
create public pages regardless of any other site or institutional
settings (or the spam probation system).

4. We write a function, "can_create_public_pages()" that checks all of
these things in the proper order.

  Allow public pages for staff and admins only

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  When you use Mahara with a range of different age groups, you may
  prevent certain ages from creating public pages so that they don't
  share their pages accidentally with the public, e.g. young children
  who don't look at the sharing options carefully.

  I propose we be more granular in who can create public pages and public
profiles on the institution level:
  - everyone
  - staff and admins only

  Ideally, an admin could overwrite the setting for individual "trusted"
  regular users as well so that they don't need to be given the staff
  role as that comes with more privileges.

  And now it's looking more and more like being able to create other
  roles and be able to manage permissions more like Moodle manages
  capabilities...

  Curently, roles are hard-coded in Mahara and thus that would need to
  change first.