Patch for "master" branch: https://reviews.mahara.org/4375

  Improve error reporting in Ajax installer/upgrader

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  In Progress
Status in Mahara 1.10 series:
  New
Status in Mahara 15.04 series:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  We use an Ajax-based page to install & upgrade Mahara. For each
  upgrade task it:

  - fires off a separate Ajax request to run the task
  - shows a "progress" spinner while it waits for a response
  - and then once it gets a response it updates the page and fires off the next
task

  The problem is that this system doesn't handle errors well. If the
  Ajax script errors out, it continues showing the "progress" spinner
  forever. Consequently we get a LOT of error reports where people
  complain that "installation takes forever", when in fact it errored
  out after 30 seconds or whatever and it just never told them.

  We need to update this process so that it actually lets you know when
  it failed, and why.

  The simplest solution, suggested by Robert, is that we put a timeout
  on waiting for the Ajax response. Mahara sets max_execution_time
  itself, so we could:

  1. Make the ajax time out after max_execution_time
  2. Show an error icon
  3. Fire off a second ajax response to a script that gets any error messages
from the session and displays those on the page.

  That should be pretty robust against any type of error.