Just to add we have experienced this problem on our 15.04.01 when groups
of students are copying pages and collections but also errors have also
occurred under other circumstances e.g. during login or clicking on the
Portfolio button. This suggests it may be a wider issue.

Any help to solve this problem appreciated - thanks.

  Deadlock issues when 20-30 users copying collections & pages at the
  same time

Status in Mahara:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  Multiple users on the forum have reported deadlock issues when there
  are many users (20-30) copying pages & collections at the same time.
  See
  https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=7309&offset=0&limit=10

  Note that 20 to 30 users is around the number you'd hit if you're
  running a whole class of users through a training session at the same
  time.

  The three reported cases of this are all in 15.04, so it may be a
  problem introduced in that version.

  The problem has been reported in both Postgres & MySQL.