This has been done as part of the Bootstrap work.

** Changed in: mahara

  Eliminate links-that-look-like-buttons & buttons-that-look-like-links

Status in Mahara:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  Mahara contains quite a few HTML links (<a> tags) that are styled to
  look like buttons. It may also contain some buttons (<input> tags and
  <button> tags) that are styled to look like links.

  These interfere with our ability to write automated tests, and they're
  bad for accessibility. As the Mahara accessibility checklist says:

  "Use buttons and links consistently.
  -  Use a link if you're navigating to a predefined page or section
(navigation, tabs, etc.)
  -  Use a button if you're changing information or state (submitting a form,
editing or deleting content, searching, etc.)"

  From
  https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/Accessibility_Checklist#Forms

  To facilitate this, we should write a PHP function (and Dwoo tag) that
  allows you to create a "link button", i.e. a button that, when
  clicked, simply takes you to a specified URL. Then we can
  systematically locate all the links-that-look-like-buttons and replace
  them with actual buttons using this functionality.