Okay, the README.md file points users to the wiki for upgrade advice.
And the wiki *already* tells you that extracting the new code over the
old code is not recommended because of these sorts of issues.

I've updated it make this even clearer, and I've added a section to the
FAQ at the end, with the specific PHP error caused when you upgrade to
15.10 in this way:
https://wiki.mahara.org/wiki/System_Administrator's_Guide/Upgrading_Mahara#Q:_PHP_Fatal_error:_Cannot_redeclare_get_message_thread_mr.28.29

  Upgrade to 15.10 fails for sites that have upgraded Mahara by copying
  over their existing installation

Status in Mahara:
  Fix Committed
Status in Mahara 15.10 series:
  Won't Fix
Status in Mahara 16.04 series:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  I've now encountered two users on the support forums who had issues
  upgrading because they had copied over their existing Mahara site, and
  now have duplicate methods defined in the (old) multirecipient
  artefact plugin and the (new) multirecipient module plugin:

https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=7438&offset=0&limit=10#post29970

https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=7444&offset=0&limit=10#post29986

  This was caused because in Bug 1468156, we refactored this plugin from
  an artefact to a module. Apparently some users upgrade their sites
  through this process:

  1. Download & unzip the new release
  2. Copy the release into their existing Mahara webroot
  3. When prompted, replace existing files in the webroot with new versions
from the zip.

  The problem is this leaves the old files in place. Thus far, this
  approach has not caused any crashes, though I imagine it might lead to
  some strange behaviors, like possibly extra CSS files getting loaded,
  and the redundant ContactInfo block still being around. But the
  multirecipient module is perhaps the first case of us moving a library
  file from one location to another, and that results in the user having
  two library files that define some methods with the same name, and
  that causes a fatal PHP error.

  Since this has been common enough to come up twice in the forum, it
  would probably be a good idea to address it somehow.