On investigation, it looks like the problem is that 15.04 began using
the "transform" CSS attribute to dynamically position the block config
in the center of the screen. When you use CSS transform, you essentially
reset the z-index on the transformed element, which is what causes it to
show up behind the video objects.

This is no longer a problem in 15.10 because we changed the block config
to display as a tab on the side of the screen instead of a centered
popup.

  (Non-flowplayer) embedded media overlaps over block config in Mahara
  15.04

Status in Mahara:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  This bug occurs only in Mahara 15.04. Not 1.10, not 15.10. I noticed
  it in Firefox. I haven't tried it in other browsers.

  The problem is that if you place a video file onto a page, and then
  you go to edit another block on the page, the video is displayed over
  the block config popup. This appears only to happen with the file
  types that are *not* handled by Flowplayer (.swf, .mpg, .avi)

  To replicate:

  1. Clean install of Mahara
  2. Go to
/admin/extensions/pluginconfig.php?plugintype=blocktype&pluginname=file/internalmedia
 and activate all the media types
  3. Create a page
  4. On the page, place an "Embedded media" block, with an mpg file in it.
  5. Above the embedded media block, place a Text block

  Expected result: The block config for the Text block comes up and you can see
it
  Actual result: The mpg file from the embedded media block, displays on top of
the block config