A few years ago I saw a demo of a plugin made by Discendum Oy (makers of
OB Passport). Maybe it would be worth to contact them to see whether
they agree to open the code and whether the features are worth to be
added to core.

  Request for a wider range of sources in the file picker

Status in Mahara:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  This is a feature request

  Despite we can't import file from an iPad, because, there is no user
  files or folders access on iOS 5,  we could nevertheless imagine a way
  to import file and further more improve access to personal documents
  to user regardless the platform they are using.

  For example, in Moodle 2, it is also not possible to import directly a
  file from the iPad though, we can, through the file picker and the
  plugins access to repositories outside the iPad, such as DropBox or
  Boxnet.

  Giving Mahara the ability, as Moodle, to access external repositories
  may improve the user experience in giving him access to their files
  regardless of the platform they are using.