Here's the list of SimpleSAML php depedencies from their manual:
https://simplesamlphp.org/docs/stable/simplesamlphp-install#section_3

    Some webserver capable of executing PHP scripts.
    PHP version >= 5.3.0.
    Support for the following PHP extensions:
        Always required: date, dom, hash, libxml, openssl, pcre, SPL, zlib
        When using encryption or digital signatures: mcrypt
        When authenticating against LDAP server: ldap
        When authenticating against RADIUS server: radius
        When saving session information to memcache-server: memcache
        When using database:
            Always: PDO
            Database driver: (mysql, pgsql, ...)

Because we're not using it as an identity provider, we don't need ldap
or radius. We're currently using memcache as the session provider, so
that's the "memcache" dependency. We're not using the database for
sessions or IdP, so we don't need any of the DB libraries (including
sqlite).

Although it might be a good idea to switch our simplesamlphp setup to
use the DB for sessions instead of memcache, in order to reduce the
number of dependencies? Or maybe to detect whether the Mahara site
itself is using standard PHP sessions, or memcache sessions. I think
Piers believed there was some kind of conflict with using PHP sessions,
but I'm not sure if that was only a problem if you were doing it in a
multi-hosted environment, or if it just didn't work at all...

  Update the dependencies error for ssphp

Status in Mahara:
  New

Bug description:
  Here are some more things that need to be installed before 'make
  ssphp' will run.

  php5-gmp and php-sqlite

  so we need to update our error messages to suit