As there is a fine alternative, namely CONCAT(), for both MySQL and
Postgres, which I personally find easier to understand what is going on,
we should use that.

  MySql concat string needs to be used instead of ||

Status in Mahara:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  Mahara 15.10
  OS: Ubuntu 14.04
  DB: Mysql 5.5
  Browser: any

  I've noticed that in htdocs/search/internal/lib.php, the SQL used to
  concatenate strings is '||'.

  For example, line 275:
  $sql = $alias . '.' . $field . ' ' . db_ilike() . " '%' || ? || '%'";

  Unfortunately, this doesn't always work with Mysql. In order for this to work
we would need to set PIPES_AS_CONCAT

  Please refer to the documentation:
  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/sql-mode.html#sqlmode_pipes_as_concat

  Otherwise, strings need to be concatenated using: 'CONCAT'.

  This function is also available in Postgres.

  So, perhaps we should be using CONCAT instead of '||'.

  So, the above line 275 would be:
  $sql = $alias . '.' . $field . ' ' . db_ilike() . " concat('%', ? , '%')";