This functionality will need to be backported to the older versions of
Mahara. If this is too big a change to include in a minor point release,
we should provide the patches as people on supported versions would need
to move away from Persona as well.

** Also affects: mahara/15.04

** Also affects: mahara/16.04

** Also affects: mahara/15.10

** Changed in: mahara

** Changed in: mahara/15.04

** Changed in: mahara/15.10

** Changed in: mahara/16.04

** Changed in: mahara/15.04
    Milestone: None => 15.04.10

** Changed in: mahara/15.10
    Milestone: None => 15.10.6

** Changed in: mahara/16.04
    Milestone: None => 16.04.4

** Changed in: mahara/15.10

** Changed in: mahara/16.04

** Changed in: mahara/15.04

  Remove Persona (browserid) auth plugin by Nov 2016, because Mozilla is
  ending Persona support

Status in Mahara:
  Fix Committed
Status in Mahara 15.04 series:
  Confirmed
Status in Mahara 15.10 series:
  Confirmed
Status in Mahara 16.04 series:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  Mozilla has recently announced that they're ending support for the
  Persona authentication service, in November 2016.:
  https://wiki.mozilla.org/Identity/Persona_Shutdown_Guidelines_for_Reliers

  Mahara has long shipped with a Persona (formerly "Browserid") auth
  plugin. We'll need to remove this plugin from the 16.10 release, and
  come up with a way to help existing sites migrate their users away
  from Persona.

  We should also consider how to help out the stable release sites in
  migrating users away from Persona. The Nov 2016 shutdown will be very
  close to the 16.10 release date, so asking sites to upgrade to 16.10
  to use any migration tool will be fairly demanding, particularly since
  15.04 will still be covered by its extended support lifetime. So for
  15.04, 15.10, and 16.04 sites, an optional Persona migration plugin is
  probably the best option. That way the functionality will be available
  to sites that need it, without shipping new features in minor
  upgrades.