I've added a simple proof of concept patch
https://reviews.mahara.org/#/c/7163/1 to indicate what I was thinking
when it comes to created and last updated dates.

Note: The patch was quickly put together and not fully tested

Feel free to take the concept and flesh it out more.

Hopefully a more robust patch will be available for Mahara 17.04

  Problem with journal entry only showing creation date and not modified
  date

Status in Mahara:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  From forum:
  https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=6470&offset=0&limit=10

  'It appears to me that students can "game" assignment deadlines by
  creating incomplete Journal entries before the assignment deadline,
  then editing them after the deadline, since the Journal entry time
  stamps don't update after editing'

  Taking a quick look at this - a journal entry displays the creation
  date - which should never change.

  What would be needed is to either display the modification date
  instead of the creation date (which are the same initially but change
  on editing) or have both display if different, eg

  Posted on Wednesday, 8 October 2014, 9:37 AM
  Last edited on Thursday, 9 October 2014, 19:45 PM