Hi Karl,

The Readme file includes a link to the installation instructions where
there is a section on the database:
https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/System_Administrator's_Guide/Installing_Mahara#Create_the_Database

Does that resolve your question on how to set up a UTF-8 database or
would more information be necessary?

Cheers
Kristina

** Changed in: mahara

  Add installation instructions for UTF-8 database requirement to README

Status in Mahara:
  Incomplete

Bug description:
  README contains the instruction to install a MySQL or PostgreSQL
  database only, however after setting up a MySQL
  5.7.18-0ubuntu0.17.04.1 scheme, I get the message `You are not using a
  UTF-8 database. Mahara stores all data as UTF-8 internally. Please
  drop and re-create your database using UTF-8 encoding.`. Both README
  and the message should contain information (text or a link) how to
  setup such an UTF-8 database.

  This is not a support request to fix this for me, but an improvement
  suggestion to get this fixed for anybody.

  experienced with 1.8RC2_RELEASE-4940-g8bd74fdbf on Ubuntu 17.04