By changing a bit the script find_lang_stgs.sh on one of the patches, I got a
file with all language strings, no file path or line, just the language
strings. I filtered that to get only the strings that were repeated 3 or more
times. For this I used the command
awk '{a[$0]++}END{for(i in a){if(a[i] > 2){print a[i] i}}}' sorted_strings.txt

This are the strings we could check for now
RESULT:
3       Portfolio
3       Friends
4       Instructions
11      Description
3       Between 1 and 100
5       Date
8       None
4       Close
4       Type
4       Note
3       Share
3       WWW root
5       Inbox
3       Attachment
3       No
3       Use the format %s
4       Last modified
4       Select all
3       Site name
3       Cancel
4       License
3       Message
4       Collections
3       Bottom
3       Expires
5       Language
3       Objectionable content
4       Publish
3       Peer assessment
3       Update
7       Created
3       Size
3       Tag
4       Image
3       at
5       Details
3       by
3       Legal consent
3       Application
5       Subject
3       Yes
4       Settings
3       Save
5       Public
3       in
3       Last updated
3       Top
3       Tags
4       Members
4       We auto-create accounts
4       Short name
3       Send message
6       Owner
3       Theme
4       Résumé
3       User
3       Template
7       A default title will be generated if you leave the title field blank.
5       Files
3       Reason
4       Folder
9       Name
3       Items to show
4       Are you sure you want to do this? It cannot be undone.
3       Download
3       Height
3       Show
3       Back
4       Group administrators
4       General
3       Admin
5       Institutions
4       About
4       Journal
3       Annotation
7       People
3       Logo
3       Administrators
3       Media
3       Collection
3       Entries imported from a Leap2A export that were not able to be imported
elsewhere
7       Institution
10      Title
7       Pages
3       Delete account
4       Open
3       Protocol
4       Password
3       URL
7       Add
3       Fonts
4       Import
3       Page
4       Preview
4       Continue
3       Manage
4       Block content
5       Group
3       Masquerading sessions
3       My groups
8       Groups
3       Create
6       All
3       Email disabled
4       Plans
3       Profile
4       Journal entry
3       Entries per page
3       REST
4       Width
5       Edit
3       Comments
4       Comment
3       Person
4       Display name
4       Social media
4       Artefacts
4       Content
5       Text
3       Untitled
5       Status
5       Remove

  Remove duplicate language strings

Status in Mahara:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  There are quite a few instances where the same language string is repeated in
different files.
  The duplicates should be removed.