On Thursday 06 March 2008, Matthew Riley wrote:
> I would basically be interested in doing anything that fits in well with
> the overall goals of the Mahout project. Whether that is implementing well
> known algorithms within the Hadoop framework or working on some novel idea
> is up to the mentors, I presume.

I would be happy with both options: Working on well known algorithms within
the Hadoop framework certainly is one of our main goals. But at least me
personally am also interested in providing space for novel ideas. I consider
it really important for researchers to not only publish the data they
experimented on but also the implementation used. If working on the latter
within Mahout helps to maybe focus a little more than usual on scalability
and maintainability - great.

So if you have an idea that fits well with your day to day work as well as
with the overall goals of Mahout that would be fine. I would guess, this
makes it easier to find some spare time to work on the project ;)

Isabel

--
Each new user of a new system uncovers a new class of bugs.             --
Kernighan
'---''(_/--'  `-'\_) (fL)  IM:  <xmpp://[EMAIL PROTECTED]>