I have been batting that question back and forth in my own head recently.

It IS absolutely a huge help to have labels.  R has the data.frame to do
this and it helps enormously.  I have done it in some applications and it
saved endless hassle.

On the other hand, there is a real danger that the label functionality would
get sucked into a single implementation.  Labels really are an orthogonal
concern that are (should be) independent of how the matrix is implemented.

So should there really be something like a LabeledMatrix wrapper that
provides this labeling service to any matrix?