--- En date de : Dim 19.10.08, Grant Ingersoll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit :

> De: Grant Ingersoll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Objet: Re: More proposed changes across code
> À: mahout-dev@lucene.apache.org
> Date: Dimanche 19 Octobre 2008, 18h30
> On Oct 19, 2008, at 11:16 AM, Sean Owen wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 4:07 PM, Grant Ingersoll
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Doesn't the javadoc tool used @inherit to fill
> in the inherited
> >> docs when
> >> viewing?
> >
> > Yes... I suppose I find that redundant. The subclass
> method gets
> > documented exactly as the superclass does. It looks
> like the subclass
> > had been explicitly documented, when it hadn't
> been. I think its
> > intent is to copy in documentation and add to it; I am
> thinking only
> > of cases where the javadoc only has a single element,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Long[1]? these classes
> >>
> >> Hmmm, they were used, but sure that works too.
> >
> > I can't find any usages of these classes, where
> are they?
>
> Right, they aren't used any longer.  Feel free to
> remove.

> "copyright Daniel Dwyer" -- can
> header?
> >>
> >> No, this is in fact his code, licensed under the
> ASL.  I believe
> >> the current
> >> way we are handling it is correct.  The original
> code is his, and
> >> the mods
> >> are ours.
> >
> > Roger that, will leave it. But two notes then...
> > - what about all the other code that game from
> watchmaker? all the
> > classes in the package say they came from watchmaker
> > - I was told that for my stuff, yeah, I still own the
> code/copyright
> > but am licensing a copy to this project, and so it all
> just gets
> > licensed within Mahout according to the boilerplate
> which says
> > "Licensed to the ASF..."
> >
> > I'm not a lawyer and don't want to pick nits
> but I do want to take
> > extra care to get licensing right.
>
> Right.  I believe the difference is you donated your code
> to the ASF,
> Daniel has merely published his code under the ASL, but has
> not
> donated to the ASF.  It's a subtle distinction, I
> suppose.    Any of
> the classes that came from watchmaker should say that,
> although I know
> many were developed by Deneche for the Watchmaker API.  We
> can go
> review them again.

In the case of the travellingSalesman example, I modified the original code to
use Mahout when needed. My own modifications are a couple of lines in two or
three classes, I included a readme.txt that describes the modified code and
links to the original one. I replaced all the copyright headers with the
standard one (I forgot BruteForceTravellingSalesman.java), and added a link to
the original code in the class comments.
I've been reading the Apache License 2.0, I'm not a lawyer and if I'm not
mistaken, the "travellingSalesman" code included with Mahout is a "Derivative
Work" of the original code, so we need to :
. Point "in" the modified files that they have been changed, this files are:
StrategyPanel.java, TravellingSalesman.java and
EvolutionaryTravellingSalesman.java.
. because the Watchmaker library contains a NOTICE.TXT file, Mahout must
include a readable copy of the attribution notices contained within
Watchmaker's NOTICE file.