Let me second that.  When I am hiring a student without professional
experience, it is almost a perfect predictor that if they have done
significant work on a significant outside project they will get an interview
with me and if not, they won't.

Moreover, if I have a candidate at any level who has made significant
contributions to a major open source project, I generally don't even drill
much more on code hygiene issues.  The standards in most open source
projects regarding testing and continuous integration are high enough that I
don't have to worry about whether the applicant understands how to code and
how to code with others.

On the other hand, the only use I make of the list of buzzwords generally
found under "skills" on a resume is that I start at the end of the list and
ask a question about that area's fundamentals to see if the student is
padding their list.  When interviewing with me don't ever put anything on
your resume that you don't really know.

I don't know how widespread my attitude is, but I can't believe I am alone
in this.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve