Hi David, Welcome into Mahout =)

The "How To Contribute" Wiki page is a must read, it gives you a quick overview
about all you'll need to when contributing to Mahout.

In my own experience you'll also need to:
* know how to build the latest version of Mahout:

http://cwiki.apache.org/MAHOUT/buildingmahout.html

although, depending on your project you may skip the Taste Web part if you're
not working with Taste.

* know how to run an example in Hadoop, at least in pseudo-distributed:

http://hadoop.apache.org/core/docs/current/quickstart.html