Not irrelevant at all.  It is a very good point.

It means that the strict triangle optimization cannot be applied with the
no-square-root optimization.

There is a stricter bound that you can use with squared distances (r_12^2 -
3 r_x1^2 as opposed to r_12 - r_x1) but using that spoils the generality of
the k-means algorithm.  We could also push a method into some distances
using an additional interface something like HasTriangleBound and allow the
distance to compute the bound, but this is getting pretty far out in the
weeds.