YourKit has an open source license option that asks you to mail them and tell them what project you work on. I've used both YourKit and JProfiler and both are quite good. I've also used the NetBeans one, which can now plugin into IntelliJ too, but I don't think it is as good as YourKit.

Over time, we will want to develop some performance benchmarking tools, too, similar to Lucene's benchmark contrib, as having some standard ways to talk about performance and share settings is crucial for this stuff in open source.