Hi,
just a note: Wouldn't it be better to talk about MapReduce as opposed to
Hadoop? This means that for each algorithm implemented in Mahout it should
be clearly stated wheter it is MapReduce based implementation or not (or
using other ways to make it scalable). I can imagine it could be useful to
abstract from Hadoop to the point where it would be possible to use
different MapReduce providers. I am not sure wheter there is any consensus
about how MapReduce interfaces API should look like but Mahout could be a
good candidate for a project to define and create abstract MapReduce API.

Regards,
Lukas