> collections <- math <- core <- utils
>
> But wouldn't the collections stuff need to depend on Sorting, or amd I
> misunderstanding something?

I had utils backwards. Let me regroup here.

When I first looked at the Colt code, I recall reading uses of the JET
random number generator in the collections themselves. I can no longer
find them. So, either I was dreaming, or the rest of you got rid of
this. One way or the other, this was the original reason why I thought
we needed a three-way split.

As things are, the only thing I can find in math that is (a) 'under'
collections, and (b) questionable as a part of collections, is Sorting
and some minor dependents. (The comparator interfaces, etc).

Sorting works on primitive arrays, it's really an extension to j.u.Arrays.

I can't really see creating a module just to hold this. I really can't
see bothering to try to sell it to commons-lang. So I think the best
thing to do is to just keep it in the collections library, and focus
on moving collections out of math.