Yes for editing i use eclipse in the same fashion. If i want to try out a
job and see how it performs on hadoop I need job compiled fast.

On another note. I think there will be a lot of dead code in the job(with
all the jar files bundles) Is there an optimiser for that i.e to remove
classes which mahout never use indirectly

I see loading jar takes 10-20 seconds when initializing mapper or reducer.
It doesnt affect long running jobs but 20 sec overhead for processing 64MB
chunk sucks