Indeed.  I have observed Pig running considerably faster than hand-written
MR programs, precisely because it is willing and able to do optimizations
that decrease the number of passes over the data.  These optimizations break
abstraction boundaries in a way that would be very unpleasant or infeasible
maintenance-wise in the hand-written Java code.

In general, I don't think performance will be all that strongly impacted by
introducing pig components.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve