So, I got the release process to go. I would like to propose a slight
rearrangement to match patterns I've seen elsewhere.

a) Make a new directory, distribution. Put the assembly executions and such
in there.
b) get rid of the maven directory. Move the contents of that pom into the
toplevel pom.
c) tweak profiles a bit.
d) plan on a silly 0.4 release to test the process out before 1.0, or maybe
do an -rc release.

The current situation, where the top-level pom points down but the others
don't point back up through it, is not a pattern I'm familiar with. I have
learned by very hard experience that the maven-site-plugin is very very hard
to make work if the parent structure isn't just the inverse of the module
structure.

So, in spite of my fondness for the CXF pattern, I've concluded that the
simple 'modules down, parents up' structure is preferable when possible.

The only minor issue is that the fully fancy maven-workspace-setup stuff has
to move out of maven to a script in this case, for reasons I can elaborate
if anyone cares. We don't have this stuff yet anyway.