I haven't really started any coding for the integration but was planning to
this week. If a GSOC student is interested in taking over, I'll be happy to
help.

We already have NB, LDA and SVD, so instead of coming up with yet another
probabilistic model, a good add would be taking the existing fully distributed
LDA and SVD implementations in Mahout and applying them in recommendations IMHO.

A solid fully distributed implementation of Restricted Boltzman's Machines
(RBM) would make for superb GSOC project and will be quite challenging.

-...@nkur

3/19/10 5:50 PM, "Sean Owen" <sro...@gmail.com> wrote:

+mahout-user

>From a recommender perspective I can think of three worthwhile projects:

1. Combine the two co-occurrence-based distributed recommenders in the
code now. They take slightly different approaches. Ankur's working on
this but might give it over to a GSoC student. This is probably 1/2
the size of a proper GSoC project.

2. Add a fully distributed slope-one recommender. Part of the
computation is already distributed. Efficiently distributing the rest
is interesting. Also not so hard: I'd judge this is 1/2 a GSoC
project.

3. Implement a probabilistic model-based recommender of any kind,
distributed or non-distributed. This is probably a whole GSoC project.