Neal, I think that this might well be a useful contribution to Mahout, but,
if I am not mistaken, I think that the deadline for student proposals for
GSoC has just passed.

That likely means that making this contribution an official GSoC project is
not possible.  I am sure that the Mahout community would welcome you as a
contributor even without official Google status.  If you would like to do
this, go ahead and propose what you want to do (when JIRA comes back or just
by email discussion) and you can get started.