On Apr 12, 2010, at 10:01 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:

> Robin asked me to pay attention to this mentoring question. I have
> assumed that, to be an effective mentor here, I'd have to be capable
> of at least keeping up with the mentee on the math behind whatever
> algorithm is in play. Thus, absent a proposal to work on maven
> configurations or collections, I'd classified myself as unqualified.
> Grant's message seems to suggest that I'm wrong, but I still worry
> that the unsuspecting victim will dig themselves into an algorithmic
> hole from which I cannot extract them.

As I told David Hall last year, "I guarantee you that you know more about the
math than I do." (and I have a Math degree!) since he is living it every day in
his studies and work.  In fact, David was as much a mentor to me on LDA as I
was a mentor on Mahout.  I view my job as a mentor is to help the student learn
the ins and outs of open source at the ASF and in Mahout.  That I feel I know
quite well.   I also know that implementations don't have to be perfect and
that they will evolve and get better over time.

I also know that decisions/discussions about implementations are to be done on
the list even when I do know the answer (anyone who has ever emailed me w/ a
private question knows this about me as well) so that everyone benefits from
it.  More times than not, a better solution is arrived at anyway.  So, for me,
off-list mentoring, comes down to things like checking on progress, writing
recommendations, filling out the evaluation, etc. and all of those things are
usually minimal (< 5 hours per week)

So, in other words, it is not your job to extract them from the hole.  That's
the community job.  Besides, just b/c the algorithm is in a hole doesn't mean
the student has failed.

-Grant