If we are talking about the Writable aspect of this, then whatever input
format we use should reasonably be able to handle both kinds of data with
the conversions as you suggest.

For algorithms that are accepting arguments of a particular type, it might
be reasonable to let NVW extend VW (I am not at all sure about the
unintended consequences of this, but it sounds plausible).   Then all we
need is a facade that exposes an NVW interface for a wrapped VectorWritable
with some kind of default labels (say the indexes as strings).