That much is expected right? Since it stores a 4-byte index along with
each 8-byte double value, the sparse representation is bigger when
over 8/(4+8) = 66% of the values are non-default / non-zero.

But variable-encoding the index value trims a byte or more per element
depending on your assumptions. It'll still be less efficient past a
certain (higher) point though that's by design. But a byte per element
adds up at huge scale, I still find this worth entertaining.