Alan Batie wrote:

I install most software from a shell, and want to be able to see what I'm doing without having to install the instructions on a web server somewhere

I will take this back *slightly* in the case of mailman: since it's designed to work with a webserver, you're obviously installing it where the docs are actually viewable (at least if they're html, does anyone actually use latex anymore?), but I still want to simply be able to "tar xzvf" then "less INSTALL" whatever I'm installing.