Hi Ian,

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 5:23 AM, Ian Eiloart <i...@sussex.ac.uk> wrote:

> When a message comes from a Mailman mailing list, the headers carry far more
> useful identifying information than the From: header. In fact, the purported
> sender isn't in the From: header, it's in the List-ID: header. It would be
> better if mail clients (like Gmail's web client) would display this more
> prominently than the From header. Also, it would be good if lists DKIM signed
> messages with d= value matching the List-ID header.
>
> Then, the Gmail interface could indicate that the List-ID header was
> verified, but the From header wasn't.

I agree that mailing list management needs a serious overhaul in the
UI, for Gmail and for other clients.

> Now, if Gmail also prominently exposed the list-unsubscribe header, then the
> EU regulations on marketing messages would be satisfied. In my view, hiding
> the unsubscribe information in a menu isn't enough to satisfy the "easy to
> use" requirement, though it seems that Gmail does better than most vendors in
> this respect.

The exposure is more than in the menu dropdown. If the message comes
from a mailing list with good reputation, and the user clicks "Report
spam", then Gmail offers to send an unsubscribe message to the mailto
address in List-Unsubscribe. The reason we have the reputation check
is that we do not want spammy senders to use the unsubscribe emails
for list washing.

> Finally, if Mailman allowed users to choose whether to get the footer added,
> and subject munged, then Gmail users might avoid these issues anyway. Mailman
> might provide a list of domains for which this was the default behaviour, and
> site admins should be able to manage such a list. Mailman might even provide
> updates for this list. Of course, it's complicated: for example I use Gmail,
> but with a vanity domain. And then I use the IMAP interface with a client
> that doesn't expose list headers.
>
> My view is that a one-click setting to preserve DKIM might be useful, but it
> should carry a health warning saying something like: "If you're an
> organisation in the EU, and this list helps to promote your organisation, or
> keep people in touch with your organisation, then selecting this option may
> be in breach of your country's mail privacy laws." In fact, it may be illegal
> if you simply have a list subscriber in the EU.

Hmm, this seems difficult to enforce. How would I know if a list
subscriber were in the EU? Even if the member address were obviously
not hosted in the EU, it could easily forward to an EU address.

Thanks,
Monica