On Feb 20, 2012, at 7:28 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2012, at 02:00 AM,Florian Fuchs wrote:
>
>> Agreed. Django's User model
<snip>

> Yep, it's a big question.  Something could clearly make sense in the core,
> e.g. gpg keys for authentication or encryption.  Other, specifically ui-type
> data might not make as much sense in the core.  Even if we came up with a way
> to extend the core schema and store the data in the core, how would you access
> it?  There would probably have to be a generic REST API for getting key/value
> data associated with the user in and out of the core.

In general, I think that this will be needed.
Consider what happens when we try to add a "plugin" optional function such as a
different archiver.

In general, it will need to have some database stored parameters. Do we then
add yet another database?
I think not.  A generic key/value mechanism in the existing database would
provide the capability without requiring a custom change to the API.

> I've have a similar question when it comes to authorization.  Just where to do
> we keep the authorization mapping users and roles to actions they can perform?
> I'm very close to punting on this for 3.0 beta (and thus likely for 3.0
> final), though I'm also happy to revisit it during the Pycon sprint (likely
> for a hypothetical 3.1).

For the short term, I would let the UI become the repository for such
information.
For the longer term, see my remarks in reply to Florian's message which you are
referencing.

Richard