Are we making a design mistake?

The current design of the Postorius and Hyperkitty web interfaces to the
mailing list and its archives uses the fully qualified list submission email
address as a component of the URLs presented to the public.

Is this really a good idea?  Just think of the exposure that search engines,
etc. will give to these email addresses. I fear that doing this will create an
even greater invitation to those who harvest email addresses for the purpose of
spamming and other nefarious reasons.

Additionally, in the most common usage case, it makes the URL significantly
longer than it needs to be. In most cases, the website address determines the
email domain of the associated lists. Only a few websites are serving mailing
lists from multiple email domains. Those sites would need to have some
mechanism to unambiguiously identify the list being referenced. But for most
sites, the common name of the list is sufficient.

One of the design principles of Django is that the website designer can present
his content by way of URLs of his choosing.

Presenting the actual email address of a list may "leak" information that the
user wishes to obscure.

I think that we should rethink this decision and follow a "slug" approach to
the identification of the mailing lists in URLs. Those who choose to do so can
use the fqdn as their slug. But others would be able to readily change the
mapping without having to rewrite significant parts of the interface code.

Comments?