On Apr 28, 2013, at 11:59 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <step...@xemacs.org> wrote:

> Richard Wackerbarth writes:
<snip>
> My point is that IMHO it's flexible *enough*.
>
>> I'm advocating that we attach the roles (whatever they may be) to
>> an entire collection of lists.
>
> I know what you're advocating, and I agree with the general theory of
> constructing for flexibility.  I just don't see a need for it.

One point that I had overlooked is that you have already acknowledged an
additional "layer" between "domain" and "list".
So you have at least three layers. Do you really think that it is more
difficult to implement a general recursive tree than it is to implement those
layers?

Another case for generality is permissions. I don't propose to know all of the
parameters that will be associated with a list. In fact, I am sure that they
will change over time.  There has already been expressed a desire to have
plug-in extensions (which might add some additional parameters of their own).
However, from the view of the admin UI, all parameters share the common
characteristic that they either can, or cannot, be altered by the <role>. Using
the generic abstraction that every parameter is a case of the Parameter class,
and subclassing that to provide commonly seen variations (for example,
"boolean") allows us implement a flexible structure that does not require
handler recoding as the set of parameters changes.