Hi Mark,

thanks for looking into this.

--On 8. März 2016 um 15:43:11 -0800 Mark Sapiro <m...@msapiro.net> wrote:

I'm still having difficulty duplicating what you saw.

For the above three messages, the first one just gets detected as an
invalid date and archived under the current date by the current bin/arch.

The other two throw "ValueError: year out of range" at

  File "/var/MM/21/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py", line 984, in
dateToVolName
    return time.strftime("%Y-%B",datetuple)

which is a problem, but not the one you saw. I would like to see
messages that cause this error

  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py", line 601, in
_set_date
    self.fromdate = time.ctime(int(self.date))
ValueError: timestamp out of range for platform time_t

that you reported. Can you find those bad messages in the .mbox input
file you used and send them to me?

We played around and found that the error is related to our version of Python. Here's a minimal test script that shows the issue:

from email.Utils import parseaddr, parsedate_tz, mktime_tz, formatdate
print mktime_tz(parsedate_tz("Fri, 4 Feb 100 00:51:42 +0100 (MET)"));

That's the Date header from the single piece of legitimate mail. Python 2.4 throws the same exception you were seeing: "ValueError: year out of range". However, our Python 2.7 (which we use for Mailman) does this:

-59008522098

When that value is then passed to time.ctime(), you get "ValueError: timestamp out of range for platform time_t". We're on RHEL 5, and our version of Python 2.7 is from the IUSCommunity repo: python27-2.7.10-1.ius.el5. Which version of Python were you using?

Thanks,
Sebastian
--
   .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - Weyertal 121 (Gebäude 133), Zimmer 2.02.:.
                .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.