I might be misunderstanding you, Simon, but should I not be using Mailman 3 built with the bundler if I intend to modify/further build on the code?

I've been working off one built with the bundler for the last couple months and it's tolerated the mods I made without issue but I'd rather switch to source built sooner rather than later if it's going to matter in the future.