On Wed, May 15, 2019, at 1:30 PM, Aaryan Bhagat wrote:
> As mentioned in my proposal[1] I will create new variables and modify
> the schema of how we save things in the database.

You probably mean attributes and not variables. Also, when using SQLAlchemy,
you don't modify the database schema directly, but you change the Model and
then generate a migration which would change database schema on next upgrade.

> Here I am facing issues (most probably because I am a newbie in SQL
> Alchemy). I am not able to understand how to exactly implement this.
> Relevant searches in the docs provided nothing substantial ( If there
> is then provide the appropriate link in the reply )

This is basic use on how fields look like in SQLAlchemy[1]. After  you have
added a field, you can use Alembic to autogenerate migrations for your
changes in database schema. See [2] on how to write alembic migration
from scratch.

You can (and should) just use alembic to autogenerate it using the command
mentioned here[3].

[1]:
https://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/13/orm/extensions/declarative/basic_use.html#basic-use
[2]:
https://alembic.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/tutorial.html#create-a-migration-script
[3]:
https://mailman.readthedocs.io/en/latest/src/mailman/docs/database.html#database-migrations

> If there is not then GSoD guys take note, we can have a doc page on how

It would be great if you used gender neutral pronouns[4]. Folks, People etc.

[4]: https://lifehacker.com/how-to-use-gender-neutral-pronouns-1821239054

> to modify database if the admin wants to according to its needs(
> although it is highly rare for someone to do that so not that much
> priority upon this ).

"Admin" is used for operators of a project, this is not really something
an admin would want to change.

I have provided URLs to existing documentation about how to add a
new database migration.

--
  thanks,
  Abhilash Raj (maxking)