Hi,

my footer removal software fails on IETF's "last-call" mailing list because it looks for a line of underscores, whereas that list uses "-- ". That sequence is "the separator line between the body and the signature of a message", according to RFC 3676. However, I had never seen it in mailing list footers before.

My experience with mailing lists is limited, so I ask you. Is that sequence common enough to try and catch it in a footer removal function?

I asked the list owners, and they answered "We didn't choose these settings when the list was set up! It was probably just the default for that version of Mailman." Is that possible?

TIA
Ale