Christian Buser via Mailman-Users writes:

 > ? addr...@domain.ch
 > ??? host mx01.servicehoster.ch [194.191.24.200]
 > ??? SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
 > ??? 550 Headers contain illegal byte order mark (BOM)
 > Reporting-MTA: dns; my.provider.eu

I generally agree with Richard about this.  However, if I understand
correctly, although your MTA is reporting this, it's the remote MTA
that is rejecting the email.

It's possible that the remote MTA is correct in doing so, if the BOM
is occurring at the beginning of a logical line in the header,
including the first.  In that case it's part of the field name, and
that still has to be ASCII according to RFC 6532.

 > So far I could not yet find out why these messages are refused by the
 > receiving server, it could be a Mailman issue

It's not a Mailman issue; there's nothing in Mailman that could
introduce a BOM in UTF-8, except maybe your footer or header, or a
bogus subscription address or display name.  But any of those would
cause all messages to be rejected, I suppose.

 > or an issue of the mail program used by the author of the message.

It could be.  It could also be an MTA (yours or downstream) that
translates a MIME word or transfer-encoded body to UTF-8 so it can use
SMTPUTF8.  In either of those cases, though, I believe the receiving
MTA is non-conforming.

 > Any ideas what could be done to prevent these errors?

If it's not a downstream MTA doing something completely crazy, I'd
want to know where in the message the BOM is found, and whether it's
transfer-encoded or not when it gets to Mailman.  It would be easy to
write a BOM-stripper handler, but I would be uncomfortable stripping
all of them (even though actual ZWNBSP is very rare, since that
character has been generally deprecated in favor of U+2060 WORD
JOINER).  So I'd like to know where it causes problems.

Steve