Inching forward here folks, trying to get Mailman 2.1.39 going.

I get to the point it calls Python and it dies with:

checking for python... /usr/local/bin/python
checking Python interpreter... configure: error:

***** No Python interpreter found!
***** Try including the configure option
***** --with-python=/path/to/python/interpreter

I checked; there are only 245 different Python packages installed! -slap-forehead- What was I thinking! OF COURSE it requires more of 'em!

If I type python and then double-hit tab, I get:

python3
python3.11
python3.11-config
python3.11-x86_64-config
python3-config
python-argcomplete-check-easy-install-script
python-argcomplete-tcsh
python-config

...I tryed to install the corresponding package, which appears to be Python 2.7.15, it as a package but it couldn't be found by the usual package manager

OTOH, can Python3 (what's there now) be THAT backwards incompatible?!

SURELY I can make it happy somehow, right?

How about an ln -s of /usr/local/bin/python to the one in my path?

Do I have to install the old Python from source, TOO?!

Anybody know?

Thanks,

P.S. It seems BIZARRE to me that we have the good ole cc and gcc that just work after however many decades, yet the modern developers seem just not have a clue how - or just don't care - to code for longevity - what, the code to get python has to enter python3 now or just die? Really?

I'm sure you can easily tell I strongly disagree with modern practices about dependencies; "computer science" has gone backwards, at least in strategy! ... But I digress...