I'm using pipermail for my non-searchable archives.

Recently I've been auditing my bandwidth usage, and have found that a
fair amount of it is from people downloading mbox archives, rather
than individual messages.  I talked to a couple of individuals who
were doing this, and it was so that they could do a search (much
better for them to do that on my searchable archives).  Is there any
way to get pipermail not to make the mbox archives public?  I would
like to keep them around, because they are useful should I ever switch
to another archiving mechanism.

Currently I'm just chmod'ing these files to 660, so that mailman
can party on them, but web users can't.

alex