At our University, we use a special username/password (called a
"UNet" account) for all web-related items. We can match the UNet
username directly to the user's University e-mail address.

I would like to use this username/password for all list members who
have a UNet account, but fall through to the mailman-generated
password for those who do not. We do not have access to the actual
password--it is stored only as a Unix hash so we can't simply insert
it into the mailman password database (and we wouldn't want to send
it out via e-mail on a monthly basis in any case). Has anyone else
implemented something like this?

What I'm looking at as a possibility is setting up an Apache
.htaccess file so that all of the mailman directories are password
protected, but allow guest access (Apache has a special module that
will do this). If a user logs in using their UNet account, map it to
their e-mail address and bypass mailman's login process. If the user
logs in as a guest, do not bypass mailman's login process.

Has anyone already done this? If so, are there already any
instructions somewhere for how to do this? Any foreseeable problems
with this method?

Jerry
http://www.sandiego.edu/~jerry/
--
The more restrictions there are, the poorer the people become. The
greater the governmentıs power, the more chaotic the nation would