With Ben's permission I'm forwarding this message to these lists.
We'll have to add this to the faqwiz at the least, and probably the
MM2.0.x README file (although I'm hoping to avoid a 2.0.14 :).

Brace yourselves,
-Barry

--- Begin Message ---
Just to let you get a heads-up, you're going to get a ton of complaints
and bug reports (if you haven't already) from people doing fresh
installs of Debian 3.0 ("woody"), recently released.

The package maintainer moved the lock directory to /var/lock/mailman,
but forgot to set the permissions to root:list 2775.  You'll probably
want to add this to any FAQs you might have, because every CD pressed
and every net install of Debian 3.0 will be broken like this.  The users
will just see the "Oops, we hit an error!" message when they try to go
to the admin interface.

The fix is:

chown root:list /var/lock/mailman
chmod 2775 /var/lock/mailman